What is a Facelift?
As we age, the tissues in our faces weaken and lose elasticity: we become prone to developing fine lines, wrinkles, folds and sagging. Visible signs of aging can make us appear older than we really are and certainly older than we feel. Other environmental factors such as sun exposure, smoking, and pollution can accelerate this process. Facelift surgery is designed to reverse the signs of aging in the cheeks, jowls, and neck by restoring a firmer, smoother, more youthful facial contour. Schedule a Facelift consultation with Dr. J. Brian Boyd in South Bay.
The Benefits of Facelift Surgery
- Tightens sagging facial skin
- Smooths fine lines and wrinkles
- Corrects aging in the cheeks, jowls, and neck
- Leaves inconspicuous scars
- Provides effective and long-lasting results
- Restores a more youthful appearance
- Allows you to reclaim confidence in your appearance
Superficial Musculo Aponeurotic System - SMAS
- The SMAS technique targets the underlying muscular structures of the face and trims away excess skin
- Incisions are made in the hairline around and behind the ear
- Drooping facial muscles are tightened by drawing them back under tension
- The platysma muscles of the neck are selectively weakened to eliminate neck folds
- The facial tissues are re-draped to highlight your new facial contour, and excess skin is excised
Minimal Access Cranial Suspension - MACS
- The MACS technique uses a reduced scar, targeting only the underlying muscular structures, and is ideal for younger patients with limited facial sagging
- Incisions are made down the front of the ear and end at the earlobe
- Undermining of the facial skin is limited, which allows for a faster recovery
- The underlying muscles are tightened, but skin excision is minimal
- This may be performed in the office under local anesthesia
Things to Consider Before Deciding
Facelift surgery only treats the lower portion of the face. Many patients have noticeable aging not only there but also around their eyes and forehead (brow). For comprehensive facial rejuvenation, you may want to consider combining your facelift with blepharoplasty (eyelid surgery) and/or an endoscopic brow lift. Dr. Boyd commonly combines these procedures to achieve stunning overall results.Schedule a Consultation With Dr. Boyd
Frequently Asked Questions
Full SMAS facelifts are usually performed with the patient asleep, while MACS lifts are more often carried out under local anesthesia using sedation. However, multiple procedures or personal request may necessitate the use of general anesthesia.
It is common to experience bruising, swelling, and redness following a facelift. Your face may temporarily feel tight and/or numb, some patients experiencing mild discomfort, which can be controlled using pain medication. You will be required to rest with your head elevated for one week following your surgery to minimize swelling.
You will need to limit your physical activities for up to four weeks following your procedure. Most patients return to work within two weeks. After six weeks, the majority of the swelling will have subsided and your final results will be evident.
Some doctors advertise procedures such as mini facelifts, or weekend facelifts, which are supposed to provide you with the results of a facelift without the extensive recovery period. However, these procedures rarely have long-term benefits and often leave visible scarring. Mini facelifts are for mini surgeons.
Dr. Boyd’s expert skill and technique allow him to make fine incisions. Most of the resulting scar is hidden within the hairline or masked by its placement in a junctional area. However, each patient heals differently, and there is a possibility that some visible scarring may develop, although it is likely to fade over time.
Facelift surgery provides patients with results lasting for years. However, lifestyle plays an important role in determining the longevity of your results. Patients should avoid direct exposure to sunlight and quit smoking. Most undergo routine non-surgical ‘maintenance’ treatments such as fat grafting, facial fillers, BOTOX® Cosmetic, and skin peeling to maintain their youthful results.