What Is a Mommy Makeover?
The experience of pregnancy and becoming a new mother can take a dramatic toll on your body, resulting in a less than desirable appearance. Many women experience volume loss in the breasts, a flabby tummy, and unwanted fat deposits after their pregnancy. For many of these women, no amount of diet and exercise will restore their firm, youthful bodies. The mommy makeover targets the major problem areas women struggle with following pregnancy. The goal of a mommy makeover is basically to tighten and restore an attractive breast and torso.Schedule a Mommy Makeover consultation with Dr. J. Brian Boyd in South Bay.
The Benefits of a Mommy Makeover
- Larger, firmer breasts
- Flatter, more toned stomach
- Elimination of bothersome fat deposits
- Restores a fitter, pre-baby body
- Helps you reclaim lost confidence
- Combining procedures saves time as well as money
Mommy Makeover Areas of Concern
- Breast lift is ideal for women whose breasts have begun to sag following their pregnancy
- Drooping breasts are a common result of pregnancy and nursing
- Sagging breasts may appear deflated or shapeless
- Breast lift removes excess sagging tissue and repositions the remaining skin and tissue
- Breast lift restores a firm breast and improves the projection of the breast
- During a breast lift, the areola and nipple can be repositioned for a more youthful and aesthetic breast appearance
- Breast augmentation is ideal for women who have experienced volume loss in their breasts following pregnancy
- Volume loss occurs because of a loss of both fat and breast tissue, especially after nursing
- Breasts that have lost their volume may appear small or undefined
- Breast augmentation uses implants to increase the size and redefine the shape of the breasts
- Patients with pronounced breast sagging may require a breast lift in combination with their augmentation
- A tummy tuck is ideal for women who have excess abdominal skin and loose abdominal muscles as a result of their pregnancy
- The rapid expansion of abdominal tissue during pregnancy makes it difficult to restore tight, firm contours through diet and exercise
- A tummy tuck trims away excess skin and fat and tightens the abdominal muscles by stitching them together
- The remaining skin is draped to highlight the new abdominal contours
- Liposuction is ideal for women who have troublesome fat deposits that may be resistant to diet and exercise
- It is common for women to put on fat during their pregnancy and struggle to rid themselves of it afterward
- Liposuction eliminates excess fat using a cannula that is inserted through tiny incisions
- Common treatment areas include the abdomen, hips, thighs, buttocks, and back
Things To Consider Before Deciding
- A mommy makeover is designed to rejuvenate your body after pregnancy. Women should only undergo the mommy makeover procedure after they are certain they are finished having children.
- Women choosing to undergo a mommy makeover shouldn’t be nursing at the time of the procedure.
- Recovering from a mommy makeover can take several weeks. You will need to avoid heavy lifting for at least three weeks because of the tummy tuck. It is important to ensure you have a strong support system at home to help with some of your mommy duties while you recover.
- A mommy makeover is designed to restore your pre-baby body and help you feel more attractive and confident. However, women must have realistic expectations about what can be achieved with a mommy makeover. Dr. Boyd will be sure to explain the limitations as well as the benefits.
Frequently Asked Questions
General anesthesia is used during the mommy makeover to ensure patient comfort and safety.
The amount of scarring will depend on the techniques used for your breast and abdominal procedures. No matter the extent of correction, Dr. Boyd takes great care to place all incisions in discreet locations to minimize the visibility of scars. Most scars are likely to fade over time.
You will likely experience some bruising, swelling, and redness. Pressure on the chest and tightness in the abdomen may cause some mild discomfort. An abdominal compression garment is applied to reduce swelling. You will rest for several days in a reclining position with your hips flexed.
Initially, you might experience some mild to moderate discomfort, but most patients say this only lasts two to three days. To control any associated pain, ample oral medication will be prescribed.
One benefit of the mommy makeover is that it can be customized based on the needs of each patient. Only procedures that will enhance your appearance need to be included as part of your mommy makeover.
In males who have experienced a massive weight loss or who have aged badly, there is often excessive breast development or skin looseness in addition to an unwanted abdominal fold. These patients are excellent candidates for gynaecomastia correction (excision of male breast tissue) combined with a tummy tuck. And, yes, we could term it a ‘daddy do-over’ although there is no requirement that the individual father any children.